BCDHA LAUNCHES COMPREHENSIVE DENTAL HYGIENE REFRESHER PROGRAM
BCDHA has developed a comprehensive self-study review program tailored to suit all dental hygienists – from those who completed their dental hygiene education many years ago, right up to the most recent graduates. This refresher program is flexible and can be customized to give you just what you need.
Developed by a team of BC Dental Hygiene educators, the program consists of 21 self-study modules, with each module focussing on a specific area of dental hygiene practice. The modules can be divided into six main categories: Biological Sciences; Social Sciences; Dental Sciences; Dental Hygiene Clinical Practice; Community; and Professional Issues.
The modules use the most current text books as references. Participants will need the associated text books to complete the modules. Participants can use textbooks from their own sources or rent them from BCDHA.
While each module is expected to take approximately 3 hours for participants to complete, if you feel you need additional review after completing the activities there is a list of references to guide your supplementary study. You set the pace – study when it suits your schedule!
Choose as many modules as you like. Maybe you only a need a review of one or two areas – or maybe you will want to complete all of the modules. It’s up to you. You tailor your refresher program to suit your needs.
This program is being made available to BCDHA members at a reduced cost.
BCDHA is now taking orders for the Individual
Comprehensive Dental Hygiene Refresher Modules
Module Titles Available:
1. General & oral microbiology/infection control
2. Biochemistry/nutrition/diet counseling
2. Communication principles/behaviour management strategies
1. Head, neck, oral & dental anatomy
2. General & oral embryology/histology
3. Radiography knowledge & interpretation
4. General & oral pathology
5. Dental materials
Dental Hygiene Clinical Practice
1. Health assessment/pharmacology (prescribed & non-prescribed)
2. Periodontology (including assessment, diagnosis)
3. Non-surgical dental hygiene therapy, including instrumentation (hand & powered) & ergonomics
4. Care of special needs population
5. Pain management & control
6. Primary prevention strategies, including oral self-care
7. Emergency prevention & interventions
1. Public health practice, including programming & client advocacy
2. Health promotion & wellness strategies
1. Ethics & jurisprudence (including legislation, regulation, documentation)
2. Collaborative relationships/referrals/administration/practice management