- Dental hygienists are primary health care providers with expertise in oral health promotion, disease prevention and therapeutic care.
- Oral health is inseparable from overall health. British Columbians have the right to accessible, quality, equitable, and comprehensive dental hygiene care.
- Preventing complications resulting from oral diseases minimizes pain, and unnecessary or inappropriate expenses for both individuals and the health care system.
- Dental hygienists work collaboratively in interdisciplinary settings, have the knowledge to make appropriate referrals, and have the capacity to respond and adapt their skills to public health crises such as the COVID-19 pandemic [1,2,9].
- Dental hygienists have the skills, expertise and education to take on even more exciting roles in primary health care.
To read the full position statement click here.